It’s barbeque season. An easy, healthy way to prepare meat, fish and vegetables. Looking for a nutritious twist to a traditional beef burger? Try this slimming turkey burger recipe.
Shop with care! Not every ground turkey option is necessarily healthier than ground beef. Read the label and choose lean (or extra lean) varieties from brands and farms you trust.
Lemon Turkey Zucchini Burgers
1 medium zucchini
1 large egg
lemon zest, from 1/2 lemon (TIP: Microplanes are an excellent tool for zesting citrus or grating cheese.)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
1 lb (up to 1 1/4 lb) lean ground turkey, or chicken
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat barbecue. Oil as needed to prevent sticking.
- Grate 1 cup (250 mL) zucchini. Using your hands, squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Whisk egg with lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Add zucchini, ground turkey, bread crumbs and green onion. Work with a wooden spoon or your hands until well mixed.
- Form into 4 burgers, each about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick.
- Place on grill and barbecue until well done, about 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- Serve in on a bed of salad for a low-carb meal or on your favourite bun.
Protein 24 g / Fat 10 g / Carbs 7 g