When was the last time you did something kind just for yourself?
One hugely underestimated part of a well-rounded health and fitness routine, is self-love/self care. In the same way we know how important it is to fuel ourselves with healthy foods and move our bodies on the daily, self-care and self-love are both things we should be making a conscious effort to practice everyday.
Contrary to popular belief, self-love is not a selfish or conceited act. In fact, it’s pretty much the complete opposite. Self-love is about garnering a deep sense of self-respect and self-worth, to ensure you’re not unhealthily seeking validation externally (ahem, Instagram).
The best part is, self-care doesn’t have to be a bodaciously bold grand gesture that’s going to break the budget, nor does it have to be a gargantuan grand gesture that’s going to take hours of your day. Getting into the habit of practicing small acts every day will soon become something you don’t even have to actively think about.
Just remember, self-love – like anything else, is a practice, and practices take time to cultivate, so be patient and kind to yourself while you get started.
Here are 20 small ideas to help with your self-care:
- Light some candles and have a bath
- Book a massage
- Put on red lipstick
- Write your favorite quotes in the notes section on your phone and refer back
- Read a chapter of your favorite book
- Book a blow-dry
- Listen to your favorite song on repeat
- Binge watch your favorite TV show without guilt
- Bake your favorite dessert and eat it straight from the tin
- Take your shoes off and stand in the grass or on the sand
- Get a mani or a pedi… or both!
- Have a nap or sleep in without an alarm clock
- Buy a coloring book
- Watch a YouTube tutorial to hone a skill you’ve always wanted to learn
- Unplug from social media
- Take a mental health day
- Make a Spotify playlist full of your favorite songs
- Wear sequins just because
- Say no
- Write down what you’re grateful for as soon as you wake up (before you check your phone)